* One person somewhere in the world dies every 6 seconds from tobacco-related diseases
* It is estimated that there are 1,300,000,000 smokers in the world today. Almost a half of these smokers will die from a disease caused by their tobacco use.
* The World’s population is 7,000,000,000.
* That means that one person in six smokes. One-fifth of all teenagers smoke.
* Over 5,000,000 people die from diseases caused by tobacco use every year, and the number is rising.
* Of all cigarettes smokers, over 80 % are in developing countries.
WHO factsheet on tobacco: